Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sunday Lesson - Chapter 1: Living What We Believe

Taught by Mary L.


Our lesson is entitled Living What We Believe and teaches us that our religion must find expression in our everyday lives.



From the Life of George Albert Smith
     When he was 34 years old, George Albert Smith made a list of resolutions that he called his "personal creed",  11 ideals that he committed to live by:
 "I would be a friend to the friendless and find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor."
"I would visit the sick and afflicted and inspire in them a desire for faith to be healed."
"I would teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of all mankind."
"I would seek out the erring one and try to win him back to a righteous and a happy life."
"I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather love them into doing the thing that is right."
"I would live with the masses and help to solve their problems that their earth life may be happy."
"I would avoid the publicity of high positions and discourage the flattery of thoughless friends."
"I would not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and make him my friend."
"I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father."
"I would not be an enemy to any living soul."
"Knowing that the Redeemer of mankind has offered to the world the only plan that will fully develop us and make us really happy here and hereafter, I feel it not only a duty but also a blessed privilege to disseminate this truth."


     One of his counselors in the First Presidency, President J. Reuben Clark Jr., summed-up President Smith's personal integrity with these words: "He was one of those few people of whom you can say he lived as he taught.


     Each time a prophet or apostle speaks under guidance of the Spirit, we are given, as it were, a creed by which to live. More than once, President gordon B. Hinckley has counseled members to be better husbands and wives, more loving parents and children, and to be more tolerant, neighborly and friendly.  during the April 2000 general conference, he counseled: "Let us study the ways of the Lord, reading His life and teachings in the sacred scripture He has given us. Let us take a little time to meditate, to think of what we can do to improve our lives and to become better examples of what a Latter-day Saint should be".


     What a great time of year. I would like to give a challenge, I thought that since it is the New Year we could think of some ideal or principles that you would like to follow in your own life. Consider recording them in a personal journal.




     Having a personal creed is commedndable.  It reflects the kind of person we are and, perhaps more important, the kind of person we want to become.
     If each of us were to write a creed, what would it contain?  What are the ideals that are important and of value in our lives?
     The way we use words isn't important in composing our creed. What is important is how we live our lives, living what we believe Just as George Albert Smith lived.







No comments:

Post a Comment