Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Lesson - "A Time to Prepare" by Elder Ardern & "Forget Me Not" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Given by Tracy H.
Part One:
Elder Ardern ~ "A Time to Prepare"




Mastering the techniques needed to reach our goals includes becoming the master manager of our time.
Elder Ardern says that "time is never for sale; time is a commodity that cannot, try as you may, be bought at any store for any price.  Yet when time is wisely used, its value is immeasurable."


This lesson seemed appropriately timed for the new year. What better time to start improving on our time management skills than during the time of our resolutions.


In my career as a nurse, it is critical that I prioritize my tasks so that I can keep my patient comfortable, but most importantly, alive. We call this in my field, critical thinking. This critical thinking can be used to best organize and prioritize the time in our everyday lives.  


Elder Ardern further teaches that the poor use of time is a close cousin to idleness.  As we follow the command to "cease to be idle", we must be sure that being busy also equates to being productive.  


Our younger generation has been given the opportunity to grow up with many electronic gadgets, right down to the phones that they carry in their pockets each and every day.  I find myself totally enthralled in the fun that these gadgets can pack.  However, I need to be mindful that my phone or my iPad can be a "time sucker".  Elder Ardern notes that many are trapped in a new time consuming addiction-one, that enslaves us to be constantly checking and sending social messages and thus giving the false impression of being busy and productive.




I love that he further cautions that electronic games and cyber acquaintances are no lasting substitute for real friends who can give an encouraging hug, who can pray for us and seek after our best interest.  As much as I have my own Facebook account, I find it to be a somewhat lonely and an impersonal place to be.


Take a few minutes, (this would be time wisely spent), and assess what you are using your time for.  Decide if it is being spent wisely or being wasted. Remember that in balancing our time and using it wisely, we need to include time for Self as well as for Family, Church, Work and Community. 



Brother Ardern says, "We soon learn, as the familiar hymn so carefully teaches, "Time flies on wings of lightening; we cannot call it back." What time we have we must use wisely."



No comments:

Post a Comment