Recipe from Beth Goff
Gary served his mission to Thailand so she cooks him thai food and dessert.....what an awesome wife!
This dessert doesn't look like much but ohhhhh, it is soooo yummy!!
This Mango Sticky Rice Dessert (Khao Niaow Ma Muang) is a classic Thai dessert and SO very scrumptious. Be sure to get the right rice for this dessert - regular (savory) rice will not work; you need sweet rice (also called 'sticky rice' or 'glutinous rice', available at Asian food stores.
Beth uses Thai Sticky Rice and cooks it regular
without coconut milk
*(You can also use Cal-rose Rice if you rinse it until clear it comes out pretty sticky
it may just not be as sweet.)
The sticky rice can either be steamed, as they do in Thailand or you can make it in a pot on your stove.
Place some fresh mango slices over it then smother with coconut sauce - pure heaven!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup Thai Sweet Rice
- 1-2 ripe mangos, cut into bite-size pieces or strips
- 4-5 Tbsp. palm sugar OR brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 can good-quality (thick) coconut milk
1. Soak the rice in 1 cup water for 20-30 minutes, OR up to 4
2. Do not drain the rice. Simply add 3/4 cup (more) water,
plus 1/4 can coconut milk, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1 Tbsp.
brown sugar. Stir this into the rice.
3. Bring to a gentle boil, then partially cover with a lid (leaving
some room for steam to escape). Reduce heat to
4. Simmer in this way for 20 minutes, or until the coconut-water
has been absorbed by the rice. Turn off the heat, but leave
the pot on the burner with the lid on tight. allow to sit for
5. To make the sauce, warm (do not boil) the rest of the can
of coconut milk over medium-low heat (5 minutes). Add
3 Tbsp. sugar, stirring to dissolve.
6. Tast-test the sauce for sweetness, adding more sugar
if desired. (note that it will taste less sweet when added
to the rice).
Scoop a mound of rice in dessert bowl, put mango pieces on top and pour sauce over the top.
*It should look like an English pudding with custard sauce, with the mounds of rice swimming in sauce! ENJOY!